Or browse by
Choose a Job Category
Choose a Location
Director, Store Design - Travel Retail and Visual MerchandisingLocation: New York, New York Brand: Shiseido Date: 05/12/2022
The position works closely with the ED, VM&SD to develop consumer experiences and creative strategies for Drunk Elephant in-store environments globally in alignment with Brand’s vision and strategic goals.
The Director, Store Design leads the conceptualization of Brand’s codes for Free Standing Stores, Department Stores, Specialty Stores and TR globally and is responsible to ensure Drunk Elephant store design is globally consistent while also being locally relevant. This role requires a comprehensive understanding of commercial and cultural nuances of the various regions and key markets.
The Director, Global Store Design aligns with cross-functional global & regional teams and drives the global execution of in-store digital initiatives to create integrated in-store experiences and support the brand omnichannel strategy.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee the design and management for various distribution channels (FSS, DS, SMP), with China and TR as priority focus regions, but also including our other global markets.
- Oversee development of all Global SD guidelines for regional execution
- Oversee development of Global guidelines on FVC (fixture value chain) modular design and sustainability
- Spearhead low cost SD initiatives for China and our global markets for greater speed to market and agility.
- Manage lighting concept and development for in store
- Manage any required prototyping and development for fixtures/displays for in store usage.
- Understanding of all Code compliances
- Understanding and manage all Budget calculations for global SD projects
- Collaborating closely with Creative Director and the Executive Director, VM, SD, and marketing partners, to create branded store design and visual merchandising deliverables in international markets; ensuring brand consistency and with sustainability efforts at the forefront.
- Concepting innovative store design solutions to enrich the consumer experience in global retail environments.
- Design and render environments and merchandising fixtures in 3D software; direct 3D renderer to execute creative concepts.
- Source fixture elements and materials for in-store activations with a focus on sustainability.
- Coordinate with all internal and external companies on design, preproduction and build of physical spaces and fixtures, providing direction, specifications and detailed drawings and ensuring the best result is achieved.
- Review technical drawings, material specifications and all design details for accuracy and budget alignment.
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams including markets, creative operations and operations on all projects to ensure objectives, milestones and delivery dates are met.
- Communicate effectively with creative, markets and creative operations teams to ensure quality and consistency in all aspects of branding execution.
- Follow and maintain brand identity through spacial design, lighting, fixturing, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate the production process; develop production specifications, and select appropriate materials.
- Establish working relationships with trusted store design, lighting and fixture vendors.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Bachelor of Architecture, interior Design or equivalent.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in high-end retail/ hospitality/residential design. Ideal candidate should have relevant experience in prestige beauty and/or fashion.
- International experience.
- Experience managing a team including full-time & freelancer staff.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Strong leadership skills inclusive of supervisory experience of teams with diverse backgrounds.
- Superior organization and project management skills. Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong understanding of relevant trends in fashion/art/technology/design/beauty.
- Travel <10% of time
- Attention to detail, ability to execute flawlessly, solid construction experience and strong knowledge of materials, manufacturing processes and costs.
- Ability to clearly convey design ideas through 2D drawings and 3D renderings.
- Proficiency in Vectorworks or AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and Office suite. Knowledge of SketchUp a plus.
Shiseido is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other classification protected by Federal, State or Local law