Or browse by
Choose a Job Category
Choose a Location
Engineer I, Packaging (Drunk Elephant)Location: East Windsor, New Jersey Brand: Drunk Elephant Date: 10/26/2023
The Engineer I in Packaging will play a key role in the Drunk Elephant Package Engineering department to support new product launches and product line maintenance across assigned brand(s), from design brief to production execution and consumer complaints management.
Will be part of the launch team to lead the Packaging efforts and ensure all the technical aspects from BOM creation, drawing approval, package testing, line trials, artwork validation and Packaging data creation are conforming to Shiseido Quality process.
The individual will be required to own projects and solicit other team members to ensure the required Packaging tasks are performed in a timely manner. The engineer must have the ability to adapt to fast-changing environments.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Packaging Bill of Materials
- Perform BOM (Bill of Materials) creation/changes for new/existing products (new products, artwork updates, material changes, new tertiary pack outs, etc)
- Request and create item codes to allow MDM team to enter item setup into SAP
- Initiate the BOM by gathering all necessary information from Packaging brief, consolidating the FG codes and WIPs with all component generic/shaded codes
- Pack standards & Range boards
- Manage Pack standards from our suppliers (components only), review/approve/distribute to the Quality teams, and Packaging for retains
- Manage approval of color and defect range boards with our brand partners
- Tertiary Packaging Development
- Utilizes CAPE Pallet software to provide optimal packer/shipper sizing options
- Verifies and coordinates packer/shipper specification with manufacturer and CM or Shiseido Manufacturing site
- Perform palletization patterns for existing and new products using CAPE software
- Artwork management
- Manage Artwork changes by providing new codes, BOM updates, facilitating mechanical routing and supplier Proof approval
- Responsible for posting dielines (approved by engineer) into artwork system and routing artwork to suppliers per launch timeline
- Verify technical elements on the mechanicals (dieline, weight claim, color/process, codes) and validate consistency of proof matching corresponding mechanicals
- Project Management
- Ability to handle multi-task launch projects with limited supervision and support
- Meet timeline due dates for all required Packaging actions
- Manage Value Analysis projects (supplier changes, color/finish/texture changes, tertiary packaging changes)
- Packaging Specifications
- Create and/or revise new component specifications to suppliers (primary, secondary, and tertiary)
- Identify the relevant test methods (components & finished goods) and conduct Packaging lab testing, data validations and reporting
- Issue FG specification and maintain the specification with any necessary updates, including palletization
- Engineering & Testing
- Review and approve technical engineering drawings for components/assemblies
- Perform statistical analysis from testing data in order to assess specification values
- Attend line trials and Finished Good production start-ups as needed
- Package Quality issue resolution (label adhesion, leakage, etc…)
- Conduct transportation testing in Packaging lab as needed
Working Relationships/Key Stakeholders:
- Brand Marketing and Product Development
- New Product Development
- Packaging engineering & lab
- Manufacturing (internal and external)
- Component suppliers
- Quality Team
Qualifications & Competencies:
- BS + degree in Package Engineering or another Engineering discipline (mechanical, material science)
- PE certification is recommended
- Approximately 0-3 years of relevant packaging and beauty-industry experience
- Basic knowledge of molding processes, resins and package testing methods
- Basic knowledge with CAD software and 3D printing
- Some level of judgment required in assessing Marketing briefs, clarity of Packaging definition and providing recommendations to lower risks while achieving the Marketing concept
- Should have a basic understanding of the total Product Development process, Manufacturing execution, Supplier process, Marketing and Computer Applications
- Some degree of analytical, financial and organization skills required
- Must be PC literate and competent with Microsoft Office applications (especially Excel and Pivot table functionalities).
- Responsible for initiating and resolving queries from other functions in a timely manner and communicating, escalating issues when appropriate
- Aware of cross function and regional impact of decisions
- Appreciates importance of on-time and quality delivery of projects to business partners
- Ability to work in teams and network
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (verbal, written, good listening skills, providing support with trust, respect, and transparency)
- Entrepreneurial spirit: taking initiative and drive clarity and resolution
- Attention to details for many aspects of the Packaging role (ie. Bill of Material, Artwork validation, Packaging data review & analysis)
- Drive projects with full ownership, and hold accountability on team members to ensure all steps of the timeline are met
- Ability to read and understand a 2D and 3D technical drawing
- Ability to adapt to fast-changing environments
- Problem Solving: ability to predict, recognize and define meaningful corrective actions to problems
- Willingness to take risks and to consider new approaches to improve the organization's competitive position
Trust 8 Competencies
Below is a list of Trust 8 Competencies designed to help employees at Shiseido Americas succeed as the company continues to evolve and innovate.
- Think Big:Adapt a big-picture perspective. Deliver new values through creativity.
- Take Risks:Embrace Risk, Practice “Trial and Error and Trial”.
- Hands On:Consider Front-line realities when making decisions. Take the lead from end to end.
- Collaborate:Leverage the diverse capabilities of colleagues.
- Be Open:Create an environment that encourages everyone to speak up
- Act with Integrity:Be sincere and humble at all times.
- Be Accountable:Commit to the goal. Take accountability for the execution.
- Applaud Success:Create a culture that celebrates success
Shiseido is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other classification protected by Federal, State or Local law