Or browse by
Choose a Job Category
Choose a Location
Director, ManufacturingLocation: East Windsor, New Jersey Brand: Shiseido Date: 05/31/2022
The Director will manage timely execution of the development, scale up, and validation of innovative, high-quality, effective processes to successfully launch and deliver new OTC products. The Director will also oversee Manufacturing operations, ensuring proper scheduling and timely execution of regular and new product batches, as well as ensure Manufacturing equipment is properly maintained, and failures investigated. This position also includes ensuring capital projects will be executed on time.
The Director, Manufacturing leads the Manufacturing, Maintenance, and Color Lab to:
- Manufacture batches, meeting safety and quality standards. Frequent interaction with NPC and Planning groups ensures proper batch prioritization and meeting launch and regular business timelines
- Maintain equipment ensuring reliability
- Develop and launch new products and provide ongoing support of cosmetics manufacturing and filling processes.
The Director is responsible for operational excellence via continuous improvement in process control, quality, and cost. The Director relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals, manage projects, and resolve technical issues. The Director is accountable for process design and batch execution decisions that determine whether new product launches are successful.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- 40% - Provide innovative technical and operational vision to the development and scale-up of cosmetic products, as well as superb execution of regular business. Implement practices to improve speed-to-market while reducing launch risks. Establish project trackers to communicate progress to commercialization teams
- 20% - Set strategy for each department to support company vision. Achieve continuous improvement by driving engagement, ownership, and accountability within department personnel for quality, service, and cost throughout all levels of the manufacturing processes
- 10% - Establish KPI's to measure improvements such as RTFT, cycle time reduction, filling rates, and color-matching performance. Drive projects to improve quality, efficiency, and costing of all operations
- 10% - Partner with Quality to establish qualification and validation protocols which follow industry best practices and meet FDA requirements while reflecting factory equipment capability
- 5% - Develop annual capital plans to improve Manufacturing capabilities, as well as scale-up and process technologies which are aligned with regional center of excellence strategies
- Ensure a safe, efficient, and quality operation in the manufacture of batches, as well as high level of equipment reliability
- Thoroughness and on-time completion of activities to support new product launches.
- Quality and timeliness of root cause analysis and effectiveness of corrective actions in support of investigations.
- Overall performance versus objectives for special assignments such as technology and organizational improvements
Working Relationships/Key Stakeholders:
- NPC/NPD teams (Brands, R&D, Project Management, Operations, Planning, Package Engineering, and Quality departments) to collaborate on direction of NPD projects and future technology direction. Provide confirmation of project progress or recommend scope or timing changes to NPD team.
- AIC and GIC Technical Management to identify and implement future technology and process improvements and to share best practices.
- Marketing personnel from all Shiseido brands. Establish and maintain effective relationships to generate trust and engagement. Anticipate customers' needs. Works with customers to resolve issues.
- SAI Supply Chain to communicate technical issues, make disposition decisions, and lead efforts to resolve issues.
- Make or influence disposition decisions for out-of-specification and non-conforming product
- Identify spending for capital equipment, tooling, and supplies
- Meet batch efficiency and overtime targets
Qualifications & Competencies:
- 7+ years manufacturing and commercializing new products, leading capital projects, and providing technical leadership to plant operations
- Department management experience
- Conflict resolution and negotiation
- Project management
- Supervisory and performance appraisal
- Problem-solving and decision-making
- Specialized technical expertise
- Financial analysis and project management
- OTC process validation
- Statistical data analysis
- Root cause investigations
- B.S. in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or related degree. Masters or MBA preferred
- Multi-department management
- Project management
- FDA regulations
- Quality management systems
Shiseido is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other classification protected by Federal, State or Local law